Thursday, April 7, 2011

Saré Paté BOUYA!

This afternoon I found out that starting in May I'll be spending the next two years living in the region of Kolda and I couldn't be happier! Kolda is part of the Casamance region of southern Senegal, one of the greener, wetter regions of the country... and hot. Mangoes. 'nuff said.

Saré Paté Bouya is a village of around 500 people, 7 km from the road town of Mampatim and my closest volunteer neighbor. There are quite a few volunteers within good biking distance, and while it might be tough sometimes to be a little island of Mandinka, I'm really excited about all my Pulaar neighbors.

Oddly enough (or simply indicative of my amazing psychic abilities), the girl I'll be replacing as the area's Mandinka health volunteer is the same girl whose blog I read just before coming to Senegal, with the thought that it seemed representative of my imagined Peace Corps experience. I won't be living in her village, but will be nearby and I'll be staying with her for my volunteer visit next week. I can't wait! Kolda or bust.

4 comments:

  1. i am very happy for you. its cool you get to go there. Like you said , talk about psychic. They are lucky to have you. i just had a mango today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIIIIKE> you sooo psyyyych. Awesome Cib! I can't wait to viiiisit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. any sense of the village connectivity, electricity ?
    if the last gal could blog does that mean there is internet ?
    and cell phone coverage ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you going to get her puppy? yesss psychic runs in the family :)

    ReplyDelete